Sunday, February 26, 2017

Blog 3: The Practice Doesn't End (Week 2)

Ahoy fellow Jazz musicians. As the 100th Aniversary of the first jazz recording recorded by the Original Dixieland Jass Band (Yes JASS), it only makes sense to make a blog today.
Here is the Official first Jazz Recording




Now it is time to get on to my progress in improvisation. This first week was probably the most bored I have been in my entire musical career besides when I played the piano. I had to squeeze in almost 40 minutes everyday devoted to only scales and chords. one of the realizations that I come to that the Mixolodian mode, and Dorian modes are not actually different from the major scales. Although a C Major scale is different from a c Mixolydian. A C Major scale is the same thing as G Mixolydian. The only difference is that they start on different notes. But the notes in the scale itself is the same. Down below is the C Major, G Mixolydian, and D Dorian scales.


C Major Scale
G Mixolydian Mode
D Dorian Mode

However, just because this first week is over, it doesn't mean I'm going to stop practicing the basics. 1 week is not nearly enough time to really have these chords and scales completely at my disposal. In addition to the practice of the basics, I have to start my study of music theory, and learn how the chords fit together in a piece. However, it is making absolutely no sense to me right now. Currently I am using the Jazz Handbook by Jamey Abersold to get a basic understanding of the chords. This book was a recommendation by a previous private teacher to get a better understanding of improvisation. It provides many useful tips a long with and explanation of chords and the scales. It also shows a bunch of other scales and chords that extend beyond the basic dominant and minor chords.
Although there won't be enough time for me to play all f these scales, there are some that I amd going to need for certain songs since not all songs only have dominant and minor chords. This 56 page long read is gonna be tough.

1 comment:

  1. Are these the only two/three modes you will be focusing on? Will you be learning any of the blues scales? How many scales/chords do you think you will be familiar with by the end of the project?

    ReplyDelete